Tom Cotton ed-ed will not be published in print, New York Times editor reports during mayoralty

Tom Cotton ed-ed will not be published in print, New York Times editor reports during mayoralty

James Bennet, the editor of the editorial page, announced at the meeting that Cotton’s op-ed, which was published on the Internet on Wednesday, will not be published on Sunday as originally planned, many employees who attended the virtual town hall at CNN Business.

Bennett, who apologized for the disaster, added that the Times would add a note to the author in the online version of Cotton’s piece, people said.

Cotton’s “Send In the Troops” section argued that the insurgency law could invoke the development of the military across the country to help local law enforcement authorities with the riots caused by it. death of George Floyd.

The op-ed was published in The Times, but staff from both the newsroom and the newsroom – who operate separately from each other – have been publicly disagreeing this week.

Although The Times issued a statement Thursday afternoon that the editor did not meet the newspaper’s standards, it was still online on Friday afternoon without notice and without a publisher’s note.

Representatives of The Times did not question the details contained in this story. Caroline Tabler, Cotton’s communications director, told CNN Business that the Times had not been in contact with the senator’s office since Thursday afternoon.

Attended Friday City Hall was A.G. Sulzberger, publisher of The Times, Dean Baquet, executive editor, Joe Kahn, director, Mark Thompson, CEO and Bennet.

Sulzberger, who had issued a stern defense for the newspaper’s publication on Thursday, told the town hall that Cotton’s piece should not be running in The Times, callers said.

Bennett, according to two people involved in the call, acknowledged to staff that he had not personally read the piece before it was published, although he said it had been checked by senior editors and said the process was “broken” and “hurried”. “

Bennett – described on call as “troubled” and “shocked” – had published an article defending Cotton’s op-ed decision less than 24 hours before his comments.

Bennett said talks with his black colleagues influenced his thinking, according to one of the callers.

Both Bennett and Sulzberger said the process they had chosen was inadequate at the moment and had structural problems, a special person on the call said.

Bennett was asked about the tweets by Bari Weiss, author of the opinion section. In a series of tweets on Thursday, Weiss said there was a “civil war” in the newspaper between “wokes” and older “liberals.”

Bennett expressed dissatisfaction with Weiss’s tweets. Weiss did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Baquet, who heads the Times newsroom, opened up to his colleagues his own experience as a black man in America, two of the callers said.

Baquet told staff that he has a significant influence on journalism, but that when he walks down the street in jeans and sneakers, he is treated differently in the eyes of society.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *