Alexey Navalny: Russia's outspoken Putin critic

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny fired from hospital after poisoning

Naval became seriously ill during the flight from the Siberian city of Tomsk in Moscow on August 20. He was initially treated in Omsk before being transferred to Charité Hospital in Berlin two days later.

“The patient’s condition has improved sufficiently to get rid of acute hospital treatment,” said a statement from Berlin’s Charité Hospital released on Wednesday, a day after the Kremlin critic left the hospital.

“Alexey Navalny has been receiving treatment in Charité for a total of 32 days, of which 24 days have been spent in intensive care,” he said. “Based on the patient’s progress and current condition, treating physicians believe that full recovery is possible. However, it is too early to assess the possible long-term effects of severe poisoning.”

The German government said Navali was poisoned with a chemical agent from the Novichok group of the Soviet era, a conclusion supported by two other laboratories in France and Sweden.

The Kremlin has vehemently denied any involvement, but many questions remain.

Novichok was also used in an attack in March 2018 against former Russian spy Sergei Skripal in the English city of Salisbury, and many Russian dissidents have been poisoned in the past.

In an update posted on Instagram on Saturday, Navalny said he still could not use his phone properly or throws himself a glass of water, but was on a “clear path” to recovery. He posted a photo of himself walking down a flight of stairs, writing that he was regaining his physical and mental fitness.
Two days later, the politician asked for it Russian authorities return the clothes he was wearing the day he got sick.

“Before they allowed me to go to Germany, they took off all my clothes and sent me there completely naked,” he said in a statement. “Given the fact that Novichok was found in my body and a method of poisoning is very likely, my clothes are very important material evidence.”

Monday’s statement coincided with the end of a preliminary investigation into the incident by Russian authorities, which did not lead to a criminal investigation. Naval’s spokeswoman Kira Yarmysh said the Russian government had turned a blind eye to the incident.

Last week, Navalny’s aides said they had transported items from Tomsk’s room to Germany, where a lab later found traces of a nerve agent in one of the water bottles from which he apparently drank.

Navalny’s colleague who collected the items in Tomsk, chief investigator Georgy Alburov, previously told CNN that the water bottle was not necessarily the item used to poison the Kremlin critic, suggesting the substance could have been placed in a different object.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *