Here’s one: Don’t microwave your books to get rid of corona.
That’s the word from the staff at Kent’s Central Library in Michigan’s Grand Rapids.
A few days ago, the library received a book that appears to have been burned in a microwave oven.
Elizabeth Guarino-Kozlowicz, regional director of the Central Library of Kent, believes she is related to Covid-19.
“I’m not sure if anyone would do that,” Kozlovic told CNN.
She also made the case in a Facebook post.
You see, every book in this library – and libraries across the country – has a metal radio frequency identification label (RFID) that can and will burn in a microwave oven. Labels can also catch fire, read the Facebook post
But it raises the question: How I am doing do we know that our books are free of viruses?
Earlier this year, the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) conducted an online seminar on the same subject with David Berendes, a CDC epidemiologist.
“We are following the instructions of the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) to ensure the proper drainage of shared library material. Each book is quarantined for 72 hours after its return to us,” Kozlovic said.