Watney, 39, left the RBC Heritage tournament in Hilton Head, South Carolina on Friday before the second round.
He traveled privately to the tournament, which began on Thursday, and was not on the charter flight offered by the PGA Tour, the agency said.
“Nick will have the full support of the PGA Tour throughout the isolation and recovery period according to CDC guidelines,” the PGA Tour said in a statement.
“For the health and well-being of all those involved in the tournament and those within the community, TOUR has begun implementing the response plan in collaboration with medical experts, including working with those who may have had close contact with Nick.”
Watney, a five-time PGA Tour winner, played with fellow Americans Vaughn Taylor and Luke List in the first round, finishing above 74, in addition to the pace.
A total of 369 people, including players, caddies and staff, were tested for Covid-19 before the start of the tournament, the PGA Tour said. All of these tests were negative.
The PGA Tour declined to comment further and called on news agencies and fans to respect Watney’s secrecy.
The Heritage tournament is the second to be held after the resumption of the PGA Tour after its suspension due to the coronavirus pandemic. It is played without spectators and with strict protocols.
American Daniel Berger won the Charles Schwab challenge last week in Texas as the world’s top golf players returned to the competition after a three-month hiatus, with Watney also in action, losing the cut after completing five rounds. two rounds.
CNN’s Jill Martin contributed to the report.