Bad news for President Trump and his younger brother, Robert Trump, who is trying to block a flattering book in all of President Trump’s niece’s books, Mary Trump, that Simon & Schuster is going to publish in July.
On Wednesday afternoon, a New York court upheld a temporary restraining order against Simon & Schuster, a decision that allows the publisher to print copies of the book and send them to retailers. The court upheld the temporary restrictive decision for Mary Trump until a hearing on July 10.
Make no mistake: This is a blow to Robert Trump’s attempt to exclude the book. Simon & Schuster had already said that she had printed 75,000 copies of the book and sent copies to bookstores. By the time of the July 10 hearing, the publisher will be further prepared to publish the book on its scheduled release date of July 28. In other words, the horse will be much closer to getting out of the barn.
The appellate court also noted that “while the parties are free to enter into confidentiality agreements, the courts are not obliged to enforce them in particular” and said that such agreements are “alternatively enforceable through non-pecuniary damages”. The proposal that monetary compensation may be a way to resolve the legal dispute, instead of an order, also does not seem to be a good sign for the case of Robert Trump …
“We are satisfied”
In a statement, Simon & Schuster celebrated the court’s decision. “We are pleased with the decision of the Court of Appeals to overturn the interim injunction issued by the lower court against Simon & Schuster,” the company said in a statement. The publisher said it supported Mary Trump’s right to tell her story. Simon & Schuster added, “As we all know, there are well-established precedents against previous restraining orders before publication and we remain confident that the preliminary ruling will be rejected.”
Mary Trump’s lawyer will file a brief Thursday
Ted Boutrous, the famous First Change lawyer representing Mary Trump, who has also represented CNN in the past, hailed the court ruling as “very good news”. Mr Boutros added: “We look forward to hearing from the court tomorrow, explaining why the same outcome is required for Ms. Trump, under the First Amendment and the Convention on the Law of the Convention.”
No comments from Harder
Meanwhile, there has been silence on the part of Robert Trump over the dispute. I emailed Charles Harder, the attorney who represents him, and I didn’t listen again. Sometimes, silence can say …