Last week, after Rapoport wrote a post
for the Bon Appétit website about the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death, food writer Korsha Wilson took to Twitter and accused
the company of carbonated women of color. Many more allegations surfaced on the Internet on Monday, in part sparked by a 2013 Instagram photo of a brown-faced Rapoport for Halloween.
At the end of the day, when the world of food media was filled with discussions about the magazine’s culture and the inclusion or absence of different voices in the industry, some Bon Appétit employees either said publicly that they would stop appearing in the magazine’s popular videos. until changes are made or it is published that they have requested his resignation.
Rapoport announced his resignation on Monday night. “I am retiring as editor-in-chief of Bon Appétit to reflect on the work I need to do as a person and allow Bon Appétit to get to a better place,” Rapoport has posted
in his Instagram.
The controversy draws new attention to the problem of representation in the food media. And it will be a blow to the magazine and Condé Nast, who recently hailed Bon Appétit as a surprising success story, especially with the younger viewers who the magazines are desperate for.
Last month, Bon Appétit won four awards at the American Society of Magazine Editors National Magazine Awards, including overall service and lifestyle accomplishments. Beyond the print magazine, the brand has grown successful YouTube channel
“As a global media company, Condé Nast is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We have a policy of zero tolerance for discrimination and harassment in all its forms. Accordingly, we strive to ensure that employees are paid fairly, in line with their roles and experience throughout the company. We take the well-being of our employees seriously and give priority to the initial approach to our culture, “said Condé Nast Chief Communications Officer Joe Libonati.
Among the magazine’s employees who called Rapoport was assistant food editor Sola El-Wally. IN The story in her Instagram Monday
El-Wally said she earned only $ 50,000 and said only white editors were paid to appear in the magazine’s videos, while she was not despite the growing presence in the videos and a number of fans.
Bearer of Bon Appétit Priya Krishna retweeted
Rapoport’s Instagram post with a brown face and wrote: “It’s f — elevated, simple and straightforward. It erases the work that BIPOC staff has been doing for a long time, behind the scenes. I plan to do my best to support the EIC and the systems, who hold actions like this responsible. “
Senior food editor Molly Buzz, star of the YouTube channel, said in Instagram story
that it will not appear in videos until the company guarantees equal pay.
Alex Lau, a former staff photographer, Shared on Twitter
that one of the reasons he left Bon Appétit was the lack of support for people of color and the problem of getting guidance to listen to representation issues.
In 2010, Condé Nast was appointed Editor-in-Chief of Rapoport’s Bon Appétit. He was previously a style editor at GQ and has worked for the magazine’s conglomerate since 2000.
Rapoport did not respond to a request for comment.
Correction: A previous version of this story was given to Claire Saffitz a quote that was not hers.
Friendly internet aficionado. Creator. Unapologetic zombie fan. Entrepreneur.